Supporting your veterinarian! VeterinaryPartner.com
Meow













VetzInsight
a VIN company
 
 

Back Top Bookmark this page
   
ASPCA Poison Control Center


Certified with the American Board of Toxicology and the American Board of Veterinary Toxicology, Dr. Wismer is responsible for overseeing medical recommendations made by the veterinary staff. She is also highly involved in lecturing, making media appearances and writing. She coordinates the Animal Poison Control Center's extern program. Dr. Wismer earned her undergraduate degree from Ohio's University of Findlay in 1990 and received her DVM from Purdue University in 1994. Her first job was in a small animal practice in Michigan, she then went to work in an emergency practice in South Bend, IN, before joining the APCC in 1998. In July 2003, Dr. Wismer became a Diplomate of the American Board of Toxicology and the American Board of Veterinary Toxicology. Dr. Wismer has written several peer reviewed toxicology articles and book chapters. She is an adjunct instructor at the University of Illinois, previously a visiting professor at St. Matthews University (Cayman), a consultant for VIN (Veterinary Information Network), and is a Master Gardener.

At this time, the ASPCA is neutral on legislation requiring the addition of taste-aversive agents such as denatonium benzoate (Bitrex) to automobile antifreeze products containing ethylene glycol for the purpose of preventing poisoning in animals.
Thousands of cats and dogs needlessly suffer and many die each year by accidental ingestion of household poisons.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in partnership with the Cat Fanciers' Association (CFA) is leading a nationwide campaign to warn cat owners about the dangers of Easter lilies and certain other types of lilies.
While it's okay to share an occasional tidbit with your pet, learn which ones should not be shared at all.
17 plants that are poisonous to dogs or cats from the ASPCA Poison Control Center.
Grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs, although doctors don't know why. Dogs who eat grapes and raisins can be treated successfully.
Companion avians are extra sensitive to what’s going on in the air. Whatever they inhale goes to all parts of their bodies very quickly. This sensitivity, coupled with their small size, makes it especially dangerous for birds to breathe in cooking fumes and eat some of the foods and plants that are commonly found in kitchens.
This list contains plants that have not been reported as having systemic effects on the animals or as having intense effects on the gastrointestinal tract.
Here are some tips for keeping your pets out of danger during the holiday season.

   
About the author(s)
Tina Wismer Medical Director of the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center, Dr. Tina Wismer is a veterinary toxicologist. The phone number for the hotline is 1-888-4-ANI-HELP and the website is http://www.aspca.org/apcc.


Back Top Bookmark this page